Re: unable to copy directory recursively to a vfat partition

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: unable to copy directory recursively to a vfat partition
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 15:35:08 +0100

Chong Yidong wrote:

> Does anyone know what the BSDs do?  In other words, is reporting failure
> for chmod simply "undefined behavior" that is up to the discretion of
> the kernel (i.e., we need to be able to handle it), or is it simply a
> Linux bug (i.e., we can probably get away with doing nothing)?

Also what do other versions of the Linux kernel do on other more capable
filesystems if you set up ACLs in such a way that new files can be
created but their permissions can't be later changed (it may be possible
to set up the same scenario without ACLs by using combinations of setuid
and sticky bits on the destination directory)?