Re: fixing non-NS darwin

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: fixing non-NS darwin
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 12:49:59 +0900

>> It's quite a common way in the Emacs code to comment out with #if 0
>> with leaving some explanation about why it is disabled.  Especially
>> for the case that people might make the same mistake again in
>> future unconsciously if that part were completely removed.

> So? Everyone is aware of that.  But that was absolutely not the case
> in this particular instance.  The comments and code did not make the
> intention clear for the casual reader.

Would casual readers care about admin/CPP-DEFINES?  Anyway, I did not
expect casual readers would touch the code in the CVS, even for
cleanups.

> If you actually want to contribute something positive, please add
> the missing documentation and fix the code.

It's not just a local problem.  I'm concerned about possible removals
of other important comments in your past/future cleanups.  It's really
inefficient if every developer has to check the excessive removal of
comments in (inherently optional) cleanups.

>> Cleanup tasks are usually tedious, and thus would be much
>> appreciated if done carefully and appropriately.  But as they are
>> also inherently optional, not appreciated if done less carefully or
>> unnecessarily aggressively as in the case of MULTI_KBOARD.

> Did you just wait for an occasion to attack me on an unrelated item?
> Grow up!

Unrelated?  I'd rather think these troubles come from the same
mindset.  Did I wait?  I hoped such kind of troubles wouldn't happen
again, but actually I could anticipate that would.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden