Re: Release plans

From: Johannes Weiner
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 07:08:06 +0200

Hi,

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     Emacs has still no support to load shared libraries during runtime and
>     IIRC it was rejected back then due to political reasons.  I call this
>     crippling.
>
> "Crippling" would imply making Emacs unusable, which it clearly isn't.

A cripple is not naturally dead.  A cripple is limited compared to
others of the same kind or to it's theoretical potential.

> The reason for my decision is to make sure that extension to Emacs are
> free.  The aim is to maximize what users can do while remaining free.

So Stephen was wrong and it is incorrect that the law would forbid

I won't doubt your intentions here, I *know* that your primary goal is
the software's freedom.  But I question your way of achieving what you
are up to.  This is not meant impolite, I just like to think on my own.

We have the same goal: we both don't want Emacs to become non-free and
have it have the maximum functionality that is within the limits.

So I am interested in your views of the limits and why you think
runtime-loading of shared libraries is beyond these limits and
runtime-loading of byte-compiled .el files is not.

        Hannes