Re: Rmail-mbox branch

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Rmail-mbox branch
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 00:31:53 -0400

Paul Michael Reilly <address@hidden> writes:

> For now, I just committed a bunch of "pmail*.el" files in lisp/mail
> that will allow developers to test Rmail/mbox using M-x pmail.
>
> My long term goal is to replace my use of Thunderbird with Rmail/mbox
> as the first step.  The next step is to test Rmail/mbox using imap via
> Gnu Mailutils (for the movemail/imap support) so my Rmail/mbox testing
> will be geared very much to my day-day use of email, rather than
> specific test cases.  A good thing, I think.

Thanks for working on this.

It may not be feasible to get imap working with rmail in time for Emacs
23.1; better to finish up the mbox support, to give enough time for
testing/bugfixes.  How long do you want to wait before replacing the old
rmail?  Say, a couple of weeks?

I would suggest making the switch sooner rather than later, so that it
gets as much testing as possible.