Re: Improving X selection?

From: David Hansen
Subject: Re: Improving X selection?
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 05:09:49 +0200

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 18:34:31 +0300 Juri Linkov wrote:

>>> Shift-Insert is kind of quasi standard to paste the *selection* on X11.
>>> This would make emacs behavior even more "non standard".  I don't care
>>> much, just wanted to note that.
>>
>> Might be nicer the other way around i.e. C-w/M-w/C-y (and C-x/C-c/C-v in
>> cua mode) to use CLIPBOARD and S-Delete/C-Insert/S-Insert to use PRIMARY....
>>
>> In the end, like everything else in this area, probably need to be
>> configurable to keep everyone happy, of course. ho hum.
>
> I often need to run Emacs without a .emacs file, and the first thing
> I have to do every time after running Emacs is to type the long sequence
> `M-x set-variable RET x-select-enable-clipboard RET t RET'.  This is the
> only default setting that makes Emacs unusable for me without customization.

I completely agree that emacs should behave more like the ``other''
programs.  Probably kill/yank using the clipboard should be the default.

I just thought that using "Shift+Insert" for *clipboard* operations may
make things even worse.  AFAIK it's the default for GTK+ apps and some
other X apps to paste the *selection*.

David