Re: Cocoa Emacs

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Cocoa Emacs
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 18:29:34 -0400

On Aug 28, 2008, at 3:29 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

... Emacs expects to find the DOC
"make install"

What would be ood would be to allow "run in place" as is done for X11.
E.g. I basically *never* do "make install", I always just do "make" and
then run src/emacs.  Some of the reason why this is good is that C-h
f and C-h v allow you to jump to the checked out source code from which
you built the code, rather than some copy of it.

Running an NS application in GUI mode requires the .app bundle structure. So running straight out of src/emacs could not work. But right now basic .app bundle, sans support binaries, is mostly assembled (under nextstep/) by plain "make". Some load-path jockeying could probably get this to run without "make install", but care would need to be taken to do this compatibly with both shared-lisp and self- contained final installs.