Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 15:45:58 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> Jason explained one harm.
>> The risk seems small to me on pc:s.
>
> That's why we have customization in Emacs: because some people's needs
> are different from others'.

Yes, that is good. However I expect anyone seriously interested in
security to check those things in sleep.

> I do everything from Emacs, even launch (God forbid!) Word.

Sorry for that.

>> One of my personal favorites is that the programs should follow the UI
>> guidelines for what the user normally see.
>
> This is again a circular definition: we have no clear spec of ``what
> the user normally see''.

Tail recursion? That we do not have a unanimous clear spec does not mean
we can't talk about it and can't move forward while we do. I meant my
little frustrated story as a step to better understand what UI
guidelines actually mean when they meat reality.

>> If you from any program on w32 that did not write its own file handling
>> dialogs open the file dialog and delete a file there it will go to the
>> Recycle Bin.
>
> File deletion is not done only from dialogs.

No. But on w32 you can rather easily use the shell API (and I believe
actually shall if you follow the UI guidelines, but I am not sure). I
just tested with 7-zip and it asks me if I want to "send (the file) to
the Recycle Bin". (I kinda like "send" there.)

>> And sadly that is the part that probably most reminds of the GUI you can
>> see on GNU/Linux. But please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> As someone already said, most modern GNU/Linux desktops have a similar
> feature.

I am glad to hear that. (In this case I am of course also complaining
about that GIMP does not do what a non-expert user on w32 expects, but I
am sure you are aware of that.)