Re: Need some help with Rmail/mbox

From: Daiki Ueno
Subject: Re: Need some help with Rmail/mbox
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 09:57:49 +0900

>  > I'd recommend to use `decode-coding-string' and `insert' instead of
>  > `decode-coding-region', if unsure.

> How does that help if the target buffer is unibyte?

In this context, we can assume the target buffer multibyte.

Pmail uses seperate buffers unlike Rmail, as Paul indicates in
<address@hidden>.  Let us call the one buffer holding raw
contents of mbox file A, and another displaying a message B.

I think the most straightforward way is to do:

1. set the buffer A unibyte
2. set the buffer B multibyte
3. extract a message body from A into a string
4. decode the string
5. insert it to B

and the only drawback is inefficiency (if it is measurable).

>  > I heard that the reason why FLIM does not use
>  > `{de|en}code-coding-region' is to avoid this confusion.

> A better strategy would be to force reading the mbox file as multibyte
> binary.  It's a little bit inefficient, but not as inefficient as the
> human brain, so who cares?

The term "multibyte binary" looks like an oxymoron for me ;-)

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno