Re: question about `quit-char'

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: question about `quit-char'
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 22:23:52 +0200

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Cc: "'Eli Zaretskii'" <address@hidden>, <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 12:15:29 -0700
>
> But I still don't understand, I guess. What does the question have to do with
> the release? I'm not asking about any Emacs 23 or future features, AFAIK.

To support changing quit-char correctly, we need changes that probably
will not happen before the release.  Until then, you can safely assume
that quit-char will be C-g, especially on windowed displays.

> Users in any release can presumably use input methods

I believe you mean input-mode.  Input methods have nothing to do with
quit-char.

> and change the quit character from C-g, no? And if they do that,
> then my hard-coded binding of C-g won't pick up their key, right?

Yes, but many other places will not obey a change in quit-char, so you
are in good company.