Re: Emacs 21/22: french ç and œ

From: Paul R
Subject: Re: Emacs 21/22: french ç and œ
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:24:07 +0100

Hello Stefan,

Stefan> Never heard of that one, so maybe the French Academy made such
Stefan> a decision at some point, but it hasn't seen much use.
Stefan> Especially since œ didn't even make it into latin-1 and was
Stefan> hence "unavailable" for many years.

Indeed, and this latin-1 story is rather sad. But I am not a linguist,
so I doubles checked through the web and found two ressources that
I think we can trust :

    http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Œ
    http://www.druide.com/points_de_langue_15.html

both saying œ is mandatory.

Stefan> The "Robert" dictionary sorts "œ" as if it were "oe", so it's
Stefan> pretty close to equivalent.

I often read text where œ is written oe, so it is a common mistake in
french readings.

Regards,

--
  Paul