Re: size of emacs executable after unicode merge

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: size of emacs executable after unicode merge
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 17:57:18 -0500

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> I was looking through charset.c and character.c, and it seems to me that
> Vchar_unify_table is not used by anything.  Its contents are altered at
> several placed in the code, but it looks like it is never consulted for
> anything.  What am I missing?

Similarly, Vchar_unified_charset_table seems to be not consulted
anywhere in the code.  Removing these two variables from the C code
seems to make no difference to Emacs as far as I can tell (other than
shrinking the size of the executable by 2M).

Could it be that this part:

>> (3) When the dumped Emacs runs, at the time of
>>     decoding/encoding charsets that are unified as above, by
>>     checking if the value of Vchar_unify_table for a
>>     character is symbol or not, Emacs knows whether it has
>>     to load the mapping table again or not.

has not been implemented?