Re: files.el: Patch to make project-settings optional/customizable

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: files.el: Patch to make project-settings optional/customizable
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 21:51:47 +0200

> Since dir-locals-file is used in exactly one function, it would be
> better to just let bind it there.
> And defconsts are not exactly constants in elisp, so if someone does a
> (setq dir-locals-file BLAH), the problem that started this whole
> discussion still happens.  More, we don't have defconsts for
> "Local Variables"  or "-*-" which serve a similar purpose but at file
> level.

I don't care how constant constants are.  Function definitions are not
constant either, so everyone can redefine the function with own file name
and have the same problem ;-)  IOW, defconst says the user should not complain
when the user changes its value, so I see no problems with defconst.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/