Re: error in server-running-p on M$

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: error in server-running-p on M$
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 22:47:05 +0100

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 17:52, Ulrich Mueller <address@hidden> wrote:

> If you assume that the user's home directory is NFS mounted, then this
> is the normal case.

It would be the normal case that the user, on the local machine, would
have the home directory in a NFS server, and at the same time, there
would be an Emacs on the NFS server using an authentication file on
the user's home directory? (That's the case you mentioned before, if I
understand it correctly.) If that really happens, that should be fixed
at another level...

> Agreed, of course a partial fix is better than not checking at all.

OK.

> And I would vote against renaming the function, since I think its
> intention is to find out if a server is running.

I don't really care, as long as the user isn't mislead. But I'm not
sure the intention of the function is know whether a server is
running; more like a helper to avoid two or more Emacs to trample one
onto another, I think.

> Another question, is the plan now to call server-running-p from
> server-start (and refuse to start if it is returning non-nil)?

That's what Stefan said: "Another option is for server-start to try
and detect that there's already an active socket (using
server-running-p) and refuse to start."

             Juanma