Re: pmail-edit inherent problem

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: pmail-edit inherent problem
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 11:52:33 -0500

> pmail-edit operates by unswapping, then narrowing to just the one
> message in the whole-file buffer.

> This works ok when the message does not require decoding.  But if the
> message body is encoded in base64, this will give you the base64 text
> to edit -- not very useful.

> The only solution I can envision is to let people edit
> the viewing buffers.  This would necessitate re-encoding
> the edited contents and copying them into the whole-file buffer.

> Does anyone see a problem in this, or have another suggestion?

pmail-edit is indeed inherently difficult to implement.
I don't think there's another solution than the one you propose.
It doesn't have any "problem" as such, except for the fact that it will
require work (hopefully most of the encoding work can be leveraged from
the code used when composing new messages).

        Stefan