Re: Option to customize the -m message flag of cvs?

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Option to customize the -m message flag of cvs?
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 08:26:26 +0100

>> is not able to handle `vc-dir'.
>
> Why not? what feature(s) is/are missing?

That's what I asked _you_ in a mail on 2008-12-08.  Unfortunately, I
never got a response.

The problem is that when I do `vc-dir' in my Emacs directory I get - on
Windows XP - a *vc-dir* buffer looking like

VC backend : CVS
Working dir: c:/Programme/Emacs-trunk/
Repository : address@hidden:/sources/emacs
Module     : emacs

                         ./

and nothing that would populate that buffer with modified, unknown or
up-to-date entries.  cvs.exe starts doing something but dies quickly.
Doing `g' in the *vc-dir* buffer doesn't do anything.  I traced the
problem back to `vc-do-command' where

  (let* ((files
      (mapcar (lambda (f) (file-relative-name (expand-file-name f)))
          (if (listp file-or-list) file-or-list (list file-or-list))))

sets `files' to ("./").  Apparently, my cvs.exe doesn't like that.  I
found a comment in `cvs-mode-run' saying

  ;; Some w32 versions of CVS don't like an explicit . too much.

so I conclude that's the problem.  Indeed, when in `vc-do-command' I
assign `squeezed' as follows

    (when (and files (not (equal files (list "./"))))
      (setq squeezed (nconc squeezed files)))

`vc-dir' works as expected.

Since changing `vc-do-command' as sketched above doesn't strike me as
very digestible for most people here, I finally decided to get myself a
more subservient cvs client.  The one I found is CVSNT which has just
one drawback.  With "-m" it inserts an advert in my commits ...

martin