initial-frame-alist

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: initial-frame-alist
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 12:24:10 +0100

It appears that setting initial-frame-alist has no effect if Emacs is
started with --daemon; is this intended?  Here's a case in point:

Let ~/.emacs consist of this sexp:

(setq initial-frame-alist
      (append initial-frame-alist '((width . 85) (height . 58))))

Then do this:

$ emacs --daemon
$ emacsclient -c

The resulting frame has default width and height, not those specified in
~/.emacs.  If instead I start Emacs like this:

$ emacs

then the resulting frame does width 85 and height 58.

I note that after starting Emacs like this:

$ emacs -nw -f server-start

and then in another xterm typing:

$ emacsclient -c

the resulting frame has default width and height, not those specified in
~/.emacs.  But this would be expected if the initial frame is the one in
the xterm.  Whereas with --daemon, the apparent initial frame is the one
produced by emacsclient -c.  So is this a bug or expected behavior?  If
the latter, shouldn't it be documented?  (I hope it's relatively easily
fixed bug, since I would like to have setting initial-frame-alist take
effect if Emacs is started with --daemon.)

Steve Berman