Re: Recognize mbox files?

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Re: Recognize mbox files?
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 22:25:12 +0100

       A better idea would be for Rmail to detect whether it has already
       munged the file (a quick grep for "^X-RMAIL-.*" headers should do) and
       if not make the buffer read-only.

   That sounds like a good idea.
   It should be enough to check the first message for that header,
   since a previous visit with Rmail will necessarily have displayed the
   first message and put that header into it.

This mbox detection problem sounds like what we are trying to
solve with bug#2222 (Labels). Launching rmail would automatically
add a message on top of the mbox file, adding special rmail
headers and thus making this mbox file detection really easy (if
grepping for rmail headers on the first message). We would have
solved two problems that way. I am strongly in favour of this
approach. Still we need to find a consensus to the question: to
hide or not to hide.

        Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org