Re: improving network utility calls in lisp/net/net-utils.el

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: improving network utility calls in lisp/net/net-utils.el
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 20:55:41 +0300

David De La Harpe Golden <address@hidden> writes:

> Yoni Rabkin wrote:
>
>> The attached patch runs netstat asynchronously and all of the
>> essentially instantaneous processes synchronously (ifconfig, iwconfig,
>> arp and route).
>>

> Only "near-instant" if your network isn't somehow acting up, sorry,
> async is just the Right Thing here.

As a user of both Dired and Gnus I'm well accustomed to waiting for
Emacs to synchronously go fetch something. I agree to wait because of
the quality of the interface I'll get when the process is done.

I won't argue about the other processes since they aren't important to
me (and I had no idea they could hang that long). Is there any reason to
abandon ifconfig and iwconfig? Don't both always run and exit
exceedingly fast?

As an additional selling point I'll add that this would bring at least
those two to look and behave like conventional Emacs pop-up windows(*).

* I get annoyed whenever I press "q" in a pop-up buffer and instead of
  the window going away, the letter "q" appears after point. I think
  that pop-ups by definition should be easy to get rid of or shouldn't
  be pop-ups in the first place.