Re: improving network utility calls in lisp/net/net-utils.el

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: improving network utility calls in lisp/net/net-utils.el
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 00:13:10 +0300

David De La Harpe Golden <address@hidden> writes:

> Yoni Rabkin wrote:
>
>> As an additional selling point I'll add that this would bring at least
>> those two to look and behave like conventional Emacs pop-up windows(*).
>>

> I'm still not seeing any real connection to sync vs. async though,
> beyond it being unworkable to _naively_ leave buffer-read-only set on
> a buffer that's being async filled with process output?  That's not a
> great reason to leap to sync, though.

If the only safe assumption is that no "instantaneous" processes exist
and the policy is not to make Emacs wait on processes any more than it
already does then the conclusion is that this patch can't go into
Emacs.

I don't think I'll revisit the issue using a different approach since
what I have works fine for me, which leaves me with no drive to change
it. Finally, when the ratio of the length of the discussion about the
patch on emacs-devel to the length of the patch is far greater than 1,
it is probably time to put the matter to rest.

Thank you David for patiently going over this. I certainly appreciate
it.