Re: Tramp problems connecting to OpenBSD over SSH

From: Taylor Venable
Subject: Re: Tramp problems connecting to OpenBSD over SSH
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 08:16:13 -0400

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 09:37:34AM +0200, Michael Albinus wrote:
> Taylor Venable <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> Please do `tramp-cleanup-all-connections' anyway; there seems to be
> >> cached properties, which survive Emacs restart.
> >
> > That's strange behaviour to have.
>
> Not really. Tramp needs to know several things of the remote host during
> establishing the connection. In order to improve startup behaviour,
> this information is kept in "~/.emacs.d/tramp". Next connection to the
> host, Tramp reuses the information.

Thanks for the explanation, and please pardon my insolence - I'm
afraid I was a bit cranky last night for reasons unrelated to Emacs.

> > Anyway I went and updated my CVS and rebuilt, reinstalled the patches,
> > and then tried again after cleaning up all connections and it worked.
> > Seems like whatever was happening was at some point resolved, but I
> > know those patches were instrumental in this.
>
> In your case, some items in that file were corrupt, due to the "-a"
> argument of "ls". `tramp-cleanup-all-connections' clears that cache and
> closes all open connections. So the information was gathered again, and
> it is fine now.
>
> You might read about it in the Tramp info via
>
>   (info "(tramp)Connection caching")

Is it possible to get this patch into tramp.el in CVS HEAD?  OpenBSD's
ls has no analogue for the -b in GNU ls; perhaps some detection logic
for the remote OS could be implemented?  I'd be happy to take a look
at this and/or test if such would be helpful.

--
Taylor Christopher Venable
http://real.metasyntax.net:2357/