Re: please make line-move-visual nil

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: please make line-move-visual nil
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 15:13:32 +0900

Stephen Berman writes:

 > (3) It should be avoided/
 > (4) It should be avoided/

 > Do you find no acceptability contrast between (3) and (4)?

No.  As they are identical, they are identically unacceptable.  By
that, I mean that in educating my daughter (who is a native Japanese
speaker), I would *never* let that pass, not even in casual
conversation.  The only acceptable way to terminate those strings is
with an immediate period, but then "it" cannot be an expletive.

I agree that in terms of intelligibility it is somewhat better to
follow an expletive "it" with the infinitive rather than the gerund.

As a matter of style, of course that phrasing is abysmal.  There is no
need whatsoever for an expletive "it" to express that idea in English.