Re: VC top of the tree diff and log

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: VC top of the tree diff and log
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 15:51:20 -0400

> Currently the way to get a diff from the top of the tree is to:
> C-x v d TOP_OF_THE_TREE_DIRECTORY RET
> put the cursor on the ./ line
> C-x v =

I always have the vc-dir buffer open, so I only need the last 2 steps
(move to ./ and hit C-x v =).  I think it's a good way to work.

> Key bindings:
> for log we could have C-x v L  (should be intuitive given that
> vc-print-log uses C-x v l)

It might be a good idea.

Of course, others might argue that l-vs-L should be used for
"brief-vs-verbose" log output or somesuch.

> not sure what would be a good one for diff

I don't understand: why not just use the capitalized = sign?

> Older VCS don't have the top of the tree concept, not sure what to do
> about those, but we can just ignore them for the time being.

No need to worry about it, there are plenty of ways to make them
behave sensibly.

        Stefan