RE: Blunderbuss ".dir-locals.el" raises everything in its path!!

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Blunderbuss ".dir-locals.el" raises everything in its path!!
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 15:00:04 -0700

> A simple idea that (maybe) does not give more complexity, but merges
> messages/warnings/errors/tracebacks:
>
> - Show it all in the message buffer.
> - Color those differently there.
> - Get rid of the warnings buffer. Instead, if it is desired to do so,
> open the message buffer like the warnings buffer is opened today. At
> least that is not more intrusive than today...
> - Errors are more severe than warnigns so do at least that much for
> errors too. (But a lot of code in Emacs gives errors instead of using
> catch/throw as they should. Also a catch label to just jump out of a
> command without having to add a label internally would be very good...
> - hope that is not more complexity...)
>
> I think this would be a good start toward making the complexity in
> this area less than today because with such a structure we could
> invent common ways to make a certain message more visible.
>
> There are complexities like that an important message might be hidden
> by a later less important message (a rather common problem) but with a
> structure like the one above we can try to handle it in a general way
> that both programmers and users understand, recognizes and remember.

There are too many things (solutions, in particular) in your mail.

I take this suggestion as noteworthy: color different message types differently.
That sounds reasonable to me.

Let's worry about one thing at at time. Later, we can worry about whether
*Messages* should have some structure (e.g. like outline mode or whatever). But
if the main problem being pointed to is having things stand out in *Messages*,
then yes, fontifying it could be a good start.