Re: Infrastructural complexity.

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Infrastructural complexity.
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 00:14:51 +0200

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 12:00 AM, Drew Adams<address@hidden> wrote:

>> > I'm not sure this argument is valid, since one can set up a
>> > dedicated *Messages* window in Emacs, if desired.
>>
>> Why does that help? Don't we need the protected window feature that
>> will (hopefully) be included (for ECB)?
>
> What's the "protected window feature"? Never heard of it. If you introduce
> stuff
> into the discussion, at least give people a pointer to what you mean.

There is no "protected windows" yet, but ECB tries to implement them.
It is windows that are not affected by window commands that deletes
windows, like C-x 1, C-x 0.

I have no idea what we will call, that is why I gave a pointer to ECB,
but of course only those that are familiar with ECB will understand
me. Sorry.

There was a long discussion of this feature here some time ago. ECB
uses advice to achieve this now. The solution is surpricingly good,
but there are some smaller irritating problems with it of course.