Re: select-active-regions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: select-active-regions
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 22:45:34 +0300

> From: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 15:37:15 -0400
>
> My impression is that the clipboard, on both X and Windows, is meant
> to have a certain amount of "stability".

Not when you use Emacs, which puts text into clipboard on every kill.

> Text selection can occur very frequently---in Windows, for
> instance, just left-clicking on the Firefox address bar selects the text
> in the bar---and you don't want to clobber the clipboard for that.

This is an optional feature; if the user enables it, she ought to know
what she is doing.

The alternative (what the current code does on w32) is to disable this
feature on DOS and Windows entirely, with no user-level way of having
it, even as an approximation to what we have on X.  This alternative
sounds much worse to me.