Re: Add file-locals and dir-locals

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Add file-locals and dir-locals
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 03:21:07 +0300

>> Below is the final patch that I find useful enough to commit. I invite
>> you and other developers to improve this further as you wish.
>
> Does this patch support adding local variables both in the beginning and
> end of buffers?
>
> I'd love to see this applied in trunk so that it can easily tested.
> Thanks for the patch.

Right, adding local variables to the first line is necessary too.
This requires designing a good UI for that.  One idea is after
executing `M-x add-file-local-variable RET' ask a question like:

  Add variable to the beginning or end of buffer (yes or no)

which obviously always implies "yes".  The problem that the prompt should
mention both alternatives, but yes-or-no-p accepts only "y" or "n".
Using `map-y-or-n-p' to accept other keys will complicate the prompt.
Do you have any better idea?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/