Re: Changes 2009-07-15/16 in branch?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Changes 2009-07-15/16 in branch?
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 22:43:48 -0400

    >    - services integration (no counterpart on other platforms)
    >    - applescript integration (use DBUS instead)

    They are two protocols for interapp communication.  The first one,
    services, exists on MacOS and GNUstep and was added originally by the
    Cocoa port as a consumer-only implementation.  The second exists only
    on MacOS and was added by the Carbon port.

In that case, the first one sound justified because of the GNUstep
support for it.  But the second might be bad.  I need to know
more about it.

What is Applescript?  What does it do?  Can you show me an example
of what people do with it?  How does it relate to Emacs?  Does it mean
people can extend Emacs with Applescript programs?  Or can they
only run Emacs from it, like from a shell script?

    After the merge, to support users migrating from Carbon, provider
    functionality was added to the Cocoa services implementation,

Does this mean that the "services integration" includes some features
that work on GNUstep and some that do not?