emacs 23 becomes sluffish during a compile

From: Dylan Reid
Subject: emacs 23 becomes sluffish during a compile
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 14:25:36 -0400

I just switched to emacs 23.  I am running it on Linux(CentOS):

/usr/bin(16)$ uname -a
Linux foo 2.6.18-128.2.1.el5 #1 SMP Tue Jul 14 06:39:56 EDT 2009 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Whenever I "M-x compile" my rather large source tree, emacs becomes so
sluggish it isn't useable.  My system is not overly loaded, other
instances of emacs still work normally.  With emacs 22 I could compile
and continue to work in the same emacs instance.  Any about what would
cause this?

Thanks,

Dylan