Re: "Font-lock is limited to text matching" is a myth

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: "Font-lock is limited to text matching" is a myth
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 00:57:30 +0900

> To me, in theory, to the extent that "fontification" means "syntax
> highlighting", syntax is almost entirely about position in the token
> stream, rather than the text composing the token (even keywords, which
> in many languages are a syntax error if they are in the wrong
> position).

However, being able to add properties to strings, and paste them into
buffer (and display them as messages, and ...) is _very_ useful.  It's
quite often far more convenient to construct propertized text outside
the buffer and just insert it.

Cut-and-paste has its own issues (and there is some mechanism in Emacs
to deal with them, e.g., `yank-excluded-properties'), but they seem to
be more connected with that particular application, than with the
underlying low-level abstractions.

-Miles

--
"1971 pickup truck; will trade for guns"