Re: moving window handling into lisp

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: moving window handling into lisp
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 10:57:19 +0200

> 1) Make a logical representation of the window tree where you split as
> necessary.
> 2) Walk this logical tree bottom up collecting minimum required window sizes.
> 3) Walk top bottom-wise applying the sizes as they could be.
> 4) Apply the splitting and the computed sizes to the window tree.
>
> Step 3 could of course fail if the minimum sizes does not fit.

The case where the minimum (and probably fixed) sizes don't fit is what
makes this problem hard and is _all_ I care about.  You end up by
deleting a window because it drops below some minimum height and when
that windows is missing you can't keep the fixed-sizeness of another
window ...

> Step 4 should be know problem in itself (fi the needed primitives are
> available of course).

The current primitives do a lot of deleting by themselves.  So your tree
carefully laid out in 3) might become a mess in 4).

martin