Re: moving window handling into lisp

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: moving window handling into lisp
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 19:05:15 +0200

> I think the problems in the currently used logic may show up like
> that, yes. But I am sure you know much more about that.

I suppose it can't loop currently.  Stefan's window balancing code can
loop so he put an upper bound on how often that loop can get executed.

> I do not think that fixed size windows is any problem in the algorithm
> I gave. You just use that size both when walking up and collecting
> (minimal) sizes and when walking down to compute sizes to apply.

Maybe.  I still don't know whether you have an algorithm in the first
place.  The recipe you gave lacks two details: (1) How to "collect" the
sizes, and (2) how to "apply" them as they could be.

> There is so to say no way to get too small windows when computing
> sizes to apply, but you can of course find that there is not enough
> space if the "sum" of the minimum sizes is too large. But you will
> easily see that since on each level when you are going down you know
> how much space each sublevel as a mininum needs.

With fixed-size windows you have a minimum and a maximum.  Surprisingly,
fixed-size windows are used in practice as a recent bug report confirms.

martin