Re: process-file and Tramp's file cache

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: process-file and Tramp's file cache
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 16:54:42 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> How 'bout changing Tramp's process-file to compare the command (and
> args) against a list of "known pure commands"?  This would keep it all
> inside Tramp, which I think I like better (tho I also agree that this
> information is not fundamentally specific to Tramp, although currently
> Tramp is the only package able to make use of it).

That is also Julian's proposal. I dislike it, because there might be
many packages Tramp has never heard about. And even for the packages
contained in core Emacs, it will be an endless story: think about all the
vc-BACKEND calls of list whatever.

The charme is also, that packages can precisely say, which file has been
changed. Tramp could only guess `t' or `nil'. Parsing `args' of
`process-file' might also not a good idea, I believe. You cannot not
know for sure, what is a filename, and what is something else.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.