Re: using libmagic in Emacs?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: using libmagic in Emacs?
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 15:10:18 -0400

>     Actually, I think the interface should be `file-type' or some such.
> If it will return the MIME type, `file-mime-type' seems like a good
> name.

We need two functions:
- one implemented in C which provides the info from libmagic, no more no less.
- one implemented in Elisp which uses the previous one as well as
  other techniques (maybe even auto-mode-alist).

So yes, the second one can be called `file-mime-type', but the first
would better be called `file-magic' or somesuch.

        Stefan