Re: interactive-p and called-interactively-p

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: interactive-p and called-interactively-p
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 17:17:20 -0400

>> If you don't mind the size of the transient caused by the change, I think
>> the mandatory argument is the best design.
> I don't know how many of my colleagues at XEmacs and SXEmacs will
> agree, but I'd like to see that change.

That's actually very good to hear.
So, I'd suggest the following:

- mark interactive-p as obsolete.
- add a mandatory argument to called-interactively-p.

The next best solution is:

- mark interactive-p and called-interactively-p as obsolete.
- create a new function `invoked-interactively-p' with a mandatory argument.

I prefer the first because I think called-interactively-p is the
better name.  But only the second preserves 100% backward compatibility.
This said, AFAIK called-interactively-p is not used in any Elisp package
other the ones bundled with Emacs, so I'm not sure this backward
compatibility issue is significant (which is why I prefer the first
option).

        Stefan