Re: interactive-p and called-interactively-p

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: interactive-p and called-interactively-p
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 09:11:14 -0400

>> So, I'd suggest the following:
>> - mark interactive-p as obsolete.
>> - add a mandatory argument to called-interactively-p.

> I'd slightly prefer to keep interactive-p and give it the mandatory
> argument, maybe a list of things to test a la eval-when.  As Richard

That would break so much existing code, that I don't think it's an option.

> points out, "called-interactively-p" means "called by
> call-interactively".  If so, adding a mandatory argument means "but
> not really...".

Both `interactive-p' and `called-interactively-p' check whether the
caller was invoked via `call-interactively', so I think it's OK to bring
them both within called-interactively-p, just with an additional arg
saying "and not from a macro or in batch mode".

        Stefan