Re: Getting a hourglass cursor

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Getting a hourglass cursor
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 20:32:35 +0800

Lennart Borgman wrote:
On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Jason Rumney <address@hidden> wrote:
Eli Zaretskii wrote:
The case in point is "C-h H", which (at least on Windows) takes an
annoyingly long time.

On Windows, we don't support asynchronous timers, so the hourglass will only
display if we spend a long time executing lisp code. C-h H is spending time
doing redisplay (specifically finding fonts to display the various scripts),
so the hourglass does not display.

Are there any difficulties with supporting async timers on w32?

Yes, since Windows does not support signal handlers, anything asynchronous needs to be done in another thread, which cannot run Lisp code (at least until someone implements multithreading of Lisp, without restrictions like one thread per buffer or some of the other simplifications that have been talked about).