Re: Getting a hourglass cursor

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Getting a hourglass cursor
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 20:36:29 +0300

> Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 20:15:29 +0800
> From: Jason Rumney <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > The case in point is "C-h H", which (at least on Windows) takes an
> > annoyingly long time.
> >

> On Windows, we don't support asynchronous timers, so the hourglass will
> only display if we spend a long time executing lisp code. C-h H is
> spending time doing redisplay (specifically finding fonts to display the
> various scripts), so the hourglass does not display.

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand: are you saying that "C-h H" _will_
display the hourglass cursor on X?  If so, where's the code that
starts the atimer which, when expires, will display the hourglass?
Can you (or someone else) please verify that the hourglass is indeed
displayed on X?

AFAICS, the code which sets this atimer is in start_hourglass.  But if
that is true, all the calls to start_hourglass are made on Windows as
well, and the hourglass should display on Windows as it does on other
platforms.  What am I missing?