Re: Source Code Formatting Standard Update

From: jyqvklioo
Subject: Re: Source Code Formatting Standard Update
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 13:56:25 +0200

So, these days at least, there is no technical motivation for having the open
curly brace '{' in column 0. I plea that the Standard be amended so that the {
placement for the start of a body of a non-enclosed function is consistent with
use otherwise. The increased consistency will also make it possible to have
simpler implementations of automatic formatting software.

The other issue I addressed is also one that would simplify implementations of
formatters and, in most software implemented in object oriented languages,
improve readability.

I prefer to leave formatting source code to a machine; even more so when
working in a team. When formatting is not available by automation, it sometimes
does not get done. I would like to have a fast, standalone formatter as a pre
commit hook to a VCS.