Re: make-variable-buffer-local change

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: make-variable-buffer-local change
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 17:04:59 -0400

>> > I'd say "use" covers both kinds of use, but I'll defer to natives.
>> It's not a question of native speakers. "Use" here refers to what the
>> string is _for_; what it is used for.

There are often different ways to look at it.  E.g. Let's say that
a mode displays two columns of text and set tab-width to half-the
window-width for that purpose; is it "using" tab-width?  I'd say yes.

Similarly, I tend to think that PCL-CVS "uses" list-buffers-directory in
order to improve the behavior of uniquify.

In general, variables are a means of communication, and each side of
the communication thinks of itself as "using" the variable and the other
side(s) as "providing" the variable.

>> Just get rid of "Dired, shell and other modes use this variable."
> Sorry, I happen to disagree.  This is important information for such
> an obscure feature.  The alternative is let the user grep the whole
> lot of Lisp sources.

If you don't want to get rid of it, then I think it's worthwhile to
improve it and mention that it is used also (on the other side) by
list-buffers and by uniquify.

        Stefan