Re: Tramp and recursive file operations

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp and recursive file operations
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 16:07:14 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> OK. Looking outside dired, there is already delete-directory, good for
>> empty directories. Maybe we add an optional parameter RECURSIVE?
>
> Sounds OK, except for the fact that delete-directory is implemented in
> C, so you'd have to code the recursion in C as well.

I've seen that. I'll do my best ...

>> A copy-directory function does not exist. What about allowing the first
>> parameter of copy-file to be a directory name? This would imply to copy
>> recursively.
>
> If we were starting over from scratch, that would be fine, but I'm
> afraid that some code somewhere relies on the fact that copy-file only
> copies files and not directories.  And of course, copy-file is also
> implemented in C, so you'd have to code the recursion in C as well.

So we go with copy-directory? Just DIRNAME and NEWNAME as parameters, or
the other ones from copy-file as well? I guess that we dont't need
OK-IF-ALREADY-EXISTS, because if directory NEWNAME already exists, we
create a subdirectory.

And this could be a Lisp function.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.