Re: EDE: make project shared objects

From: Sascha Wilde
Subject: Re: EDE: make project shared objects
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 14:06:58 +0100

Sascha Wilde <address@hidden> wrote:

> The following patch addresses a bunch of issues:
[...]
Another important issue with the current code (inkluding my fixes) is,
that it only generates static libraries.

Fixing this is not trivial -- its not really hard either but it needs
some additional infrastructure:

The Makefile created by EDE make projects doesn't have any
infrastructure for installation (by convention this would be an PREFIX
variable and an install target).  But to create shared libraries libtool
needs an -rpath option, which would be normally set $(PREFIX)/lib.

Further more: the best/easiest way to install shared libraries and
dynamically linked programs is using libtool, too[0] -- so we need an
install make target, calling libtool in the right way.

> FWIW: Linking against libs in make projects still doesn't work.  I'll
> have a look t this next...

It would be best to use libtool for linking programs, too -- at least
when they are linked against shared libraries which are part of the
project.  But this also makes only sense with an install target.

sascha

[0] libtool hides the real stuff in an hidden directory .libs and
    installs only wrapper scripts in the source directory, this allows
    to test drive dynamically linked applications in the source
    directory but makes the right way of manual installation less
    obvious.
--
Sascha Wilde
We're Germans and we use Unix. That's a combination of two