Re: Completions in Semantic

From: Toby Cubitt
Subject: Re: Completions in Semantic
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 14:17:17 -0700

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 02:07:07AM +0200, Lennart Borgman wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 12:17 AM, Eric M. Ludlam <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > The semantic complete code for inline stuff uses the same completion and
> > display engines as the minibuffer or inline prompts, so you can mix and
> > match the pieces.  Hopefully an official API can do something similar,
> > so you can complete in the minibuffer or inline with the same functions.
>
> I think the authors of company-mode and completion-UI (Nikolaj and
> Toby) are interested in this too. And Drew, of course.

I'm a bit late to the party, but I think completion-UI already provides
hooks for much of what's being discussed (e.g. annotating completions
with additional information, a generic framework for defining new
completion UIs and completion sources...).

I had a discussion a couple of years ago (more?) with RMS about
submitting completion-UI for inclusion in Emacs, which led me to rework
parts of it based on his suggestions. By the end of the discussion, it
was in a state that RMS was happy with.

However, it was in the middle of the version 22 feature freeze, and I
promised to submit it for possible inclusion after the end of the
freeze. There were three reasons I never got around to it: 1) I forgot,
2) I still wasn't quite happy with the code, and 3) I hadn't documented
it (other than docstrings). Since then, I've at least fixed 2) so that
the code is much cleaner and clearer. I still haven't fixed 3).

But maybe it's time I put completion-UI up for inclusion, and if it's
favourably received it might give me the incentive to document it
properly...

If you're interested, the code can be found at
www.dr-qubit.org/emacs.php, and the direct download link is:

http://dr-qubit.org/predictive/completion-ui-0.11.7.tar.gz

Toby

--