Re: How to recognize keyboard insertion?

From: Ehud Karni
Subject: Re: How to recognize keyboard insertion?
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 16:49:46 +0200

On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 22:10:23 Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Ehud, I'd appreciate your opinion on this matter.

I read all the messages in the thread from the beginning.

First, I want to remind that UAX#9 only deal with converting logical
order to visual order, and not how to create the "Logical" text.

I think that we should separate the ordering for display (your code)
from getting the input (input method or keyboard layout).

It seems that both Microsoft and the Xorg developers decided to use
mirroring for Hebrew keyboard (see /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/il).

So if the user uses an external "input method" (i.e. keyboard map)
the 4 pairs - () [] {} <>, are already mirrored.  If she prefers to
use an Emacs internal input method (like I use with my hebeng.el)
the mirroring should be an option.

Ehud

BTW. The keying of the RTL text and arithmetic expression discussed
     previously on the thread, Typing (from left to right):
     "A B C D ( 4 + 5 ) * 9"  results in:  9*)4+5(DCBA
     That is because of parens mirroring (at the keyboard).

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7976-561  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign