Re: limit the number of log entries displayed by C-x v l

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: limit the number of log entries displayed by C-x v l
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 09:10:55 -0500

>> > With the proposed backend change that just needs
>> > vc-annotate-show-log-revision-at-line to pass a 1 as the last argument
>> > to vc-print-log-internal.
>> Assuming we retarget the `working-revision' argument to specify the
>> "starting" revision, I guess.  Yes, that could work.
> Actually, after looking a bit more we'd need more changes, the
> `working-revision' is not passed to the `print-log' VC method, so a bit
> more work would be needed for that :-(
> But this does not affect my original proposal, which is still needed.

Yes, I'm not opposing it, I'm just trying to get a better general
picture.  Some of the problems we may encounter is that some backends
don't support the `limit' argument.  Hopefully all those backends can
easily turn a "print-log FILE REV LIMIT=1" request into "print-log FILE
REV1 REV2" instead, tho.  Not sure what to do for other values of LIMIT,
but maybe that's doable as well.

> We show the terse log for directories already, but there's no way to
> expand it (yet).  But even when using the terse log, there's still a
> need to limit the log size.

That's my impression a well,

        Stefan