Re: bzr repository ready?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: bzr repository ready?
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 06:34:21 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> If you were starting from scratch with emacs and bazaar, you clone emacs
>> development branch (with `bzr branch URL' or downloading a
>> tarball).
>
> Actually, "bzr branch URL" on the Emacs repository is a bad idea.
> In his setup where he'll be using 2 branches, he wants to use
> a shared repository.

You got that wrong. I was not suggesting that he shall create a remote
branch. `bzr branch URL' creates a local branch:

bzr branch http://somehost.com/repo/bzr/project/trunk

creates a branch which is a clone of the branch pointed by the URL, but
on your local machine.

Besides, using a shared repository is just a disk&time saving trick, it
doesn't affect the workflow otherwise.

So he needs to download the Emacs branch. `bzr branch URL' is one way,
downloading a tarball is another. You can put the result of `bzr branch'
directly on a shared repo. If you downloaded the tarball and want to put
your mirror branch on a shared repository you need two extra steps
besides downloading and untarring. The first is precisely `bzr branch',
but this time locally using the tarball'ed branch as the parent, and the
second step is configuring the resulting branch for using the remote
emacs branch at GNU as its parent.

Once you created your local mirror with any of the methods above
mentioned, you can start making local branches for hacking, for
storing your personal changes, or for publishing them.

--
Óscar Fuentes
Desarrollo de Software