Re: bzr repository ready?

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: bzr repository ready?
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 00:41:53 -0600

> Hey, by the time I finished that entry it was 4 am....  I think I done
> purty good.<wink>

You did, you did!  <pat> <pat>  :-)

>  > I don't understand the second part.  How will commits on the mainline be
>  > hidden?  (That is, from whom will they be hidden, and in what
>  > situations?)
>
> They will be hidden from "bzr log -n1" on the master repository, when
> they are brought in to SOME-TASKNAME via merges from the master
> (upstream) or trunk (local mirror).  The reason is that when you merge
> into SOME-TASKNAME from one of those, the commit from SOME-TASKNAME is
> the *left parent* of the merge commit.  When you push that merge
> commit to master, it will become the tip *as is*, and thus all work
> committed to the master since SOME-TASKNAME branched will be on
> rightward branches, and will be summarized as merges into SOME-TASKNAME.

Whooo... okay, I see, right.  So, how shall we summarize that in a
parenthetical aside?

(Rhetorical question.  I agree with your suggestion below that we're
better off just recommending against that workflow.)

>  > It might be better just to recommend the merge-and-commit workflow for
>  > *everything*, always, and let those who want to become Bzr Jedi Masters
>  > learn to do the "just push" on their own, when they are experienced
>  > enough to understand the consequences.  Thoughts?
>
> I agree about the recommendation, but think description of the effects
> should be moved to a separate page (or an explanatory section if
> there's a possibility that this page might move to bazaar-vcs).  It's
> too easy to discover for yourself, so I would write something like
>
>     It might occur to you to save some effort by doing "bzr push" from
>     the SOME-TASKNAME branch.  *Do not do this*: it `results in a
>     different history`__ in the upstream master.
>
>     __BzrLogTreatsLeftmostParentsDifferentlyFromRightwardParents
>
> (markup is reStructuredText).  The linked page would contain the full
> explanation.

I completely agree.  We might even find a place in the existing generic
Bazaar documentation we can point to, for some of these effects.

It's late in Chicago now and I won't have a chance to make this edit
before I sleep.  If you get a chance, please go ahead and do it;
otherwise I'll try to update the doc later.

-Karl