Re: Emacs for new users

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Emacs for new users
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 23:05:41 +0100

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 10:56 PM, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> Putting cua-mode on the menus was a good step towards making it easier
>> for newcommers. Could we perhaps also apply my patches that shows C-c,
>> C-x etc on the edit menu when cua-mode is on?
>
> FWIW I doubt it'd be very useful: the whole point of using CUA is so
> that users can use the bindings they already know.  The key here being
> "they already know", so placing those bindings in the menu is
> not necessary.

Perhaps it will instead teach them that Emacs is a bit unreliable - if
you do not do as told. For all other keybindings there use to be
relevant keybinding hints in the menus, but if you use cua-mode...
then help yourself.

Excuse the joke. But it is a little bit funny that I just said that
cua-mode is not supported that much because it is not default and that
makes it more difficult for newbees.

It is a small thing, of course, but it is kind of a "welcome, we try
to support those that prefer CUA key bindings too".

In this sense I think it is useful.