Re: Emacs 23.2 pretest freeze?

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Emacs 23.2 pretest freeze?
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 17:05:59 -0600

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
> We're mostly waiting for Alan's code to land now.  Hopefully in a week
> or so.

Thanks.

> That said, I'm still uneasy about the status of message-mode as default;
> I'm not sure we've done enough to smooth the transition from mail-mode
> as default.

I don't know the details of the transition.  All I can say is I heartily
support message-mode as default, as it's awesome :-).

Since the freeze doesn't apply to documentation changes, if what you're
worried about can mostly be addressed by doc improvements, then
message-mode isn't an issue as far as the pretest goes anyway, right?

> (One more thing: sometime after the feature freeze and the start of the
> pretest, I will add one additional piece of code: the Python parser for
> Semantic.  We're currently waiting for the paperwork.  This is an
> extremely self-contained part of Semantic, so it should not impact the
> pretest.)

*nod*

One nice thing about working with Bazaar will be that paperwork delays
will have less impact on development, because it'll be easier for any
developer to try out a branch containing the not-yet-approved changes.
(Whereas in CVS, the "apply a patch and revert it later" process is a
bit awkward -- a shallow but still noticeable gumption sink.)

-Karl