Re: bzr repository ready?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: bzr repository ready?
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 01:50:40 -0500

    You are pushing the Bazaar-knowledgeable people on this list to
    support a workflow they themselves rarely use, and that they find
    counterintuitive.

I am saying our documentation should be present it prominently as a a
legitimate and plausible option.  Since "support" means a lot of other
things too, I think your paraphrase does not represent what I actually
say.

      (And it's not "more complex".  It's different; to

It certainly is more complex.  Compare how long the documentation of
each one is!

    those who are accustomed to it, it's simpler.)

I'm concerned with how much work it is to learn.  You are evidently
talking about something else, something about what it is like to use
once you are accustomed to it.

    As far as I can tell, all of those working on this migration who
    actually have experience migrating other people and projects from
    centralized systems to Bazaar agree that strongly encouraging the dVCS
    workflow is the best thing to do.

"Best" in what sense?  Best for whom?  It is certainly not best for
users like me.  It would require us me to take a lot of time to learn
things that aren't worth while for us.

    But there is no reason for the project as a whole to encourage it.

The point is not to discourage it.  (I've stated the reason before.)
We should not push people into learning the complex method if they are
doing small changes.

    And since you already know what you are going to do,

There are other people in the same situation who have not
read it yet.

      The CVS-like documentation
    exists; it is referred to prominently from the top of the dVCS
    documentation; and the relationship between the two is perfectly
    clear.

I am glad if that is still the case.  Someone was talking about trying
to hide it so as to put pressure on people to use the distributed
method.  I want that not to be done.