Re: ewoc patch

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: ewoc patch
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 16:25:10 -0500

> Fair enough.  But ISTM that while `ewoc-for-each' can have the same
> signature as `ewoc-map' has now, `ewoc-do' would be expected to have a
> signature like dolist and dotimes.  Ie, to be used like:

> (ewoc-do (element ewoc)
>   (do-stuff-to element))

> So ewoc-for-each was just an alias but ewoc-do would require more.

Sure.  I don't have a strong opinion on that one.

>> The Emacs package generally doesn't like version numbers, so I'd rather
>> not introduce one here, unless there's really a good reason for it.
> I added it so that other packages that wanted or needed a variable
> separator could tell whether it was available.  Otherwise they would make
> errors if an old ewoc.el was loaded.  If you have a better way in mind,
> I'll use it.

Better just try to use the feature and detect when it's not available.
E.g. check the feature's presence via `fboundp' or by trying the call
with the extra parametwer and catch the
`wrong-number-of-arguments' error.

>> We still don't have a testsuite in Emacs, but we'll gladly add the
>> testsuite to our repository (we have a `test' subdirectory for that).
> Sure.  But it uses my tester package rtest; there is an old version of
> rtest out there but I'm using my new version that is still in flux.
> (Which, circularly, is the reason I wanted to make ewoc more flexible)

I understand.  It's OK if the tests can't be run as-is.

>>> diff -c -b /home/tehom/emacs-21.4/lisp/emacs-lisp/ewoc.el
>>> /home/tehom/projects/emtest/lisp/viewe
> Will emacs 22.2 be sufficient?

No, please use the latest CVS version.  It's not like it's hard to get
from the browse-cvs area.

        Stefan